Frame and DITA for Authors
Course-at-a-glance: This three–day course is developed for people who need to work with FrameMaker—using DITA—to develop content based on existing DITA templates. Learn about its WYSIWYG authoring in a DITA environment optimized for editing and production. Acquire hands–on experience with document publishing including the use of topics, concepts, tasks, and references, and the creation and management of map and bookmap documents.
Prerequisite: You must have a solid working familiarity with your operating system.
Objectives: Upon successful completion attendees will be able to:
- Understand the FrameMaker model and its word processing and desktop publishing features
- Recognize DITA topics and maps and the elements which are to be used in the creation of content
- Use the Element Catalog, Attributes and the Structure view in the creation of documents
- Insert content using elements which are moved, deleted, merged or split as required
- Validate structured files to ensure that all DITA ‘rules’ are adhered to in the document
- Apply master pages manually or automatically
- Work with footnotes in text and table locations
- Insert, modify and delete content in table heading, cells, headers and footers and merge cells
- Work with graphics and anchored frames that are imported or created within FrameMaker
- Insert, modify and delete cross–references and variables within documents and between files
- Apply conditional settings to content
- Work with conrefs to reuse content between files
- Create and maintain files such as tables of contents, indices and book documents for publishing
- Create PDF documents for distributation
Further Learning: FrameMaker template development
Delivery: The following delivery is available:
- Instructor–led, group–paced, online–delivery learning model with structured hands–on activities and assignments
- Customized classroom training at your location
Fees: Course pricing is as follows:
- Instructor–led, online–delivery: $995/participant (group rates available)
- Includes a copy of our FrameMaker and DITA book.
- Customized classroom training at your location: $1500/day for up to 8 participants plus travel expenses
"Bernard is an excellent and entertaining presenter and trainer with a firm focus on pragmatics. He focuses in on the details that are needed by a particular audience and makes the information stick."
Michael Priestly, DITA Architect, IBM